The Arrive Alive website received several requests for more information on the requirements for application to become a Learner Driver.
We have decided to share some of these answers with our online visitors:
What are the minimum age requirements for obtaining a learner’s licence?
• Motorcycles 125 cc or less (without a sidecar): 16 years of age
• Light motor vehicles not more than 3 500 kg: 17 years of age
• All other vehicles (including motorcycles over 125 cc): 18 years of age
What can disqualify me from obtaining a learner’s licence?
• If you have previously been disqualified by a court of law from driving a motor vehicle, and this disqualification is still valid.
• If you already hold a valid licence to drive the same class of vehicle.
• If your licence to drive has been suspended or cancelled and the suspension/cancellation period has not yet expired.
• If you are suffering from one of the following diseases or disabilities:
– uncontrolled epilepsy;
-sudden attacks of disabling giddiness or fainting due to hypertension or any other cause;
-any form of mental illness to such an extent that it is necessary that you be detained, supervised, controlled and treated as a patient in terms of the Mental Health Act, 1973 (Act No. 18 of 1973);
– any condition causing muscular incoordination;
– uncontrolled diabetes mellitus;
– defective vision, determined by a prescribed standard; or
– any other disease or physical defect which is likely to render you incapable of driving effectively and controlling a motor vehicle without endangering the safety of the public (deafness is not regarded as such a defect).
– If you are addicted to the use of any drug having a narcotic effect, or to the excessive use of intoxicating liquor.
What will I need when I apply?
• meet the minimum age requirements set out opposite;
• meet the health requirements already explained;
• pass the eyesight test that is conducted at the testing centre;
• have acceptable identification with you when you apply (SA identity document or a passport); and
• have with you two recent passport-size identity photographs (black and white, or colour).