I have recently seen become aware of more drivers driving with green valve caps on their tyres. This is the indication that the tyres are filled with Nitrogen. But what are the benefits of nitrogen in tyres?
I have found a few of the benefits summarized on the Arrive Alive website. The experts say that there are many very compelling benefits to be enjoyed from the practice of filling your vehicle’s tyres with nitrogen. These benefits include:
• The key benefits are a slower rate of pressure loss and cooler running temperature of tyres.
• The molecular structure of nitrogen differs from that of air, in such a way that it escapes through the tyre’s inner liner or tube at a slower rate than regular compressed air.
• The result is a dramatically slower rate of pressure loss in a tyre filled with nitrogen. For example, it might take up to six months to lose 0.14kpa with nitrogen, compared to just one month with compressed air.
• Tyres inflated with nitrogen also run cooler than those inflated with air, with some significant advantages.
• One such advantage is an improvement in tyre life of up to 20%, because by reducing the tyre’s running temperature, you can increase its tread life.
• Improved road handling is another benefit that stems from cooler running tyres.
• As tyres heat up, their inflation pressure increases, which then reduces the size of the tyre’s footprint – the area that has contact with the road – the tyre then loses grip because of this smaller footprint. So the cooler they run the better the tyres will grip the road.
• Nitrogen should lead to reduced corrosion – because unlike air there’s no moisture in pure nitrogen
View the Arrive Alive website for info on: