On the Arrive Alive website we have a section dedicated to “Road Safety and Your Windscreen”. We have also, with the kind assistance of Clearplex been able to add specific safety suggestions:
* Check that the windscreen is not cracked in the vision area – Do not drive with a seriously cracked windscreen – have it replaced as soon as possible.
* Check that the windscreen washers and wipers are working and that the wiper blades are in good condition.
* Before you leave the house on a cold winter morning, make sure to clear any frost from the windscreen with warm, not boiling, water. Boiling water may crack your windscreen.
* Drive with a clean windscreen – Depending on how dirty your windscreen is or what it has been contaminated with, there are a number of options. A windscreen or side glass that resists cleaning with ordinary soap and water probably has oil or grease on it. In this instance you could use methylated spirits diluted 1:1 with water.
* Fix all chips, cracks and replace the windscreen if necessary.
* It is advisable to repair chips as soon as possible to prevent them from turning into cracks. Also it is important to have chips repaired by a reputable fitment centre
* Check the effectiveness of your windscreen wipers – should they not be effective, do not hesitate to replace them.
* Check the water level in the windscreen wiper bottle. The windscreen will require a clean periodically when travelling long distance to remove dirt from the windscreen.
With ClearPlex, there is now protection for the Windscreen. ClearPlex is the first and only optically-clear protection film for automotive windscreens. This patent-pending product, manufactured by MADICO Films USA, absorbs the impact of standard road hazards – eliminating pitting and chips, and significantly reducing the occurrence of star cracks and bull’s-eyes – leaving the glass in pristine condition.
Also view the following sections: