The Arrive Alive Website often receives requests for assistance and advice after collisions at intersections.
Some rules that should be taken into account:
- You may not enter an intersection if the traffic light is red.
- You may not turn unless you can do so without obstructing or endangering other traffic.
- Obey any yellow mandatory direction arrow markings.
- Before turning left, indicate your intention in good time and keep as close as possible to the left side of the road.
- After turning left, adjust your speed to merge safely into the flow of the traffic.
- Before turning right, indicate your intention in good time and keep as close as possible to the right-hand side of your side of the road.
- Before turning right, yield right of way to any traffic approaching from ahead.
- Traffic lights: Green arrow (steady or flashing, either left or right): Proceed in the direction of the arrow, but give way to any pedestrians and vehicles still crossing the intersection.
This should enable the parties to get clear on who had right of way in the unfortunate event of an accident while turning at intersections…