Viewing some rather “aggressive” comments from a few friends on Facebook I decided to share a pearl of wisdom from someone much wiser.
“To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.” [Sun Tzu]
One of my friends replied “Kill them with Kindness”[Elmarie]
The same should apply on the roads!! We never know whether the other driver is going through a bad patch or is mentally stable – rather take a backward step and avoid the confrontation!!
On the Arrive Alive website we have shared advice and suggestions on how to prevent road rage:
10 POINT PLAN TO AVOID “ROAD RAGE”
1. Forget work or home worries, concentrate on driving.
2. Plan your journey to reduce anxiety and stress.
3. Adopt a positive mental attitude – to help with frustration.
4. Play music this can reduce stress.
5. Don’t try to change other drivers attitudes, you can’t but you can change your own.
6. Be courteous and stay calm if provoked.
7. Drive with your car doors locked and if you see trouble don’t leave the safety of your vehicle.
8. Count from 1-10 (it’s old and it works!)
9. Don’t retaliate by sounding your horn, flashing your lights or gesturing, this will only aggravate the situation.
10. If you are a victim of aggression take the registration number and report incident to the police.
Remember it is better to get there late, than not get there at all.