The South African Rugby Union and Lead SA have urged supporters to arrive early at the Springboks’ Fans Farewell to book their places at the public send-off function for the Rugby World Cup Squad at Nelson Mandela Square on 1 September.
Media and public must please beware of the following:
- Access to the square itself will be restricted to accredited people only, but the open public area in West Street in Sandton, where the team will walk through on their way to the Gautrain en route to the OR Tambo International Airport, have a capacity of 50,000 people.
- Traffic and security authorities will be on duty to direct traffic in the Sandton CBD area.
- Entertainment starts at 3.30pm and messages of support from various stakeholders – including the Bafana Bafana soccer team and the Proteas cricket side – will be delivered to wish the team well in their defence of their Rugby World Cup title in New Zealand.
- The main public area are located in West Street and public are urged to arrive early for ease of traffic management in the area.
- Lead SA has appealed to supporters to use public transport and the Gautrain from Rosebank, the airport, Pretoria and Sandton.
The Fans’ Farewell is a partnership between SARU, Lead SA, Dept of Sport and Recreation, Supersport, ABSA and Brand SA.
Run Order of Events for the Fans Farewell
12h00 Gates open at West Street
14h00 Media busses depart from Palazzo, Montecasino to event
15h30 Start of entertainment – Graeme Watkins Project, Axene, La Vuvuzela, Danny K, Freshlyground, Margaret Motsoage
17h20 Springbok bus arrives at Nelson Mandela Square
17h20 Fly-over display by the SANDF & Harvard aircraft
17h22 Handover formalities by Absa and Lead SA
17h29 Message to team by SARU CEO Jurie Roux
17h32 Brief address by the Minister of Sport
17h37 Brief message to supporters by Springbok captain John Smit
17h46 Departure team photograph on main stage
18h00 Springbok RWC squad walks down Fan Walk on West Street
18h28 RWC squad, VIP’s and invited guests board Gautrain Sandton station
18h34 Gautrain departs for OR Tambo International Airport
18h55 Gautrain arrives at Airport
19h00 Gautrain departs with VIP’s and guests to Sandton
19h30 Media bus departure to Montecasino
Note: Activities, times are subject to change. A map with road closures in the Sandton area is attached above.