Potchefstroom – As part of the planned Safer Festive Season Operation “Duty Calls”, the police and other law enforcement agencies are geared towards ensuring public safety and compliance with the law through conducting road blocks, patrols and other proactive and reactive operations.
The festive season is upon us; a time of blissful celebration with family, friends and loved ones. We want this season to remain a joyous time for all citizens and the SAPS are working to ensure we do all we can to get vital safety information to our communities. Shopping safety is important this time of year as, despite the good will and giving of the season, there remains the sad reality that there are those who don’t share those good intentions. While the police and other law enforcement agencies are responsible to create and maintain a secure environment for all, this will be realised through the cooperation of the broader community.
In order to ensure a safe and secure festive season, the police are encouraging everyone to take precautionary measures to safe-guard themselves and their properties during this period. This can be done by applying the following essential safety hints:
- People should avoid carrying a lot of cash during shopping.
- If you intend making a large purchase, consider asking someone to accompany you.
- Parking areas may pose a security risk as shoppers are preoccupied with loading goods into their cars not noticing loiterers near their vehicles. Be wary of your surroundings.
- Avoid placing your wallet or handbag on a car seat or on the roof while loading groceries, make every effort to keep your valuables out of sight.
- Ensure the safety and security of your possessions when visiting restrooms.
- Memorise your pin so that you do not have to write it down.
- If you suspect that the ATM is not working, cancel the transaction immediately and try to use another ATM.
- Always concentrate and keep your eyes on the screen when you are at an ATM and do not accept help from strangers.
- Refrain from using an ATM if it appears the card slot, keypad or screen had been tampered with.
- Report any suspicious persons to the police or security officials.
- Residents who will be leaving their homes are urged not to leave them unoccupied. Consider asking a relative or any trusted and known person to take care of your home as well as to inform your neighbours about your absence. By paying attention to these essential safety tips, we can ensure a safer festive season for our citizens.