We received footage of a horror crash at an intersection where the traffic lights were out of order. It appears that most vehicles were cautiously approaching and proceeding across this dangerous intersection. The cyclist moved slowly to halfway and waited till vehicles to his left stopped before he tried to cross.
The driver of the truck on the far left lane showed no signs of reducing speed and collided with both the cyclist and a bakkie turning across and heading into the same direction as the cyclist.
We need to emphasize the following from this incident:
When traffic lights are out of order – it becomes a stop street / 4 way stop! The Arrive Alive website shares the following advice on such a situation:
Traffic Lights / Intersections
Most of the frustration on the road is caused by delays when traffic lights are out! There are a few basic tips to follow that will protect the road user and avoid frustrations:
- If traffic lights are out of order / not working etc – the crossing becomes a stop street / [four way stop!]
- This means that you have to follow the Rules of the Road for a four way stop
- Even if there is no traffic from the other roads –You still need to stop!
- If the vehicle in front of you crosses the intersection – you would have to allow the vehicles from the other stops to enter the crossing before you can make your move
- This means that you might have to wait for 3 other vehicles from 3 different directions to pass
- Be polite and pass swiftly whilst still cautious of possible offenders
- Be alert to the sequence of vehicles from other directions approaching the intersection
And the big NO’s
- Do not tailgate the vehicle in front of you to slip through under the radar
- Be alert to innocent mistakes – do not become a victim of road rage
- Refrain from rude gestures