- Toyota Motor Sales Wins 100th VDS Segment Award Since 2003
- Scion (US Toyota brand) Posts Greatest Improvement in Rank Among Brands
- Toyota Brand Ranks Third
- Toyota, Lexus and Scion combine for Seven Segment Awards
Game, set, and match! The Lexus brand captured a grand slam by ranking highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a fourth consecutive year in the 2015 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS). Toyota Motor Sales totalled seven vehicle segment awards. The study measures the number of owner-reported problems of 2012 model year vehicles in their third-year of ownership.
Scion, the youth division of Toyota, had the greatest improvement of any nameplate, ranking 9th compared to 22nd last year. Three Scion vehicles were segment award recipients: the iconic Scion xB earned the Compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle award, the Scion xD ranked highest in the Small Car segment, and the Scion tC earned the award for Compact Sporty Car.
The Lexus ES sedan ranked highest in the Compact Premium Car segment and the Lexus GX luxury utility vehicle was awarded among Midsize Premium SUVs. The Lexus ES was the highest ranked model among all vehicles in the study with the lowest average number of reported problems per 100 vehicles (PP100).
The Toyota brand improved three spots with their number three ranking. The popular Toyota Sienna received the award in the minivan segment and the Corolla earned the top spot in the Compact Car segment. Toyota Corolla and Lexus ES demonstrate their long-term durability as they each received a J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (IQS) award when they were new in 2012.
Toyota Motor Sales had five of the top 10 vehicles in the study based on lowest average number of problems reported. The Lexus brand outperformed its closest competition with only 89 PP100.
|Small Car||1||Scion xD|
|Compact Car||1||Toyota Corolla|
|Compact Sporty Car||1||Scion tC|
|Compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle||1||Scion xB|
|Compact Premium Car||1||Lexus ES|
|Midsize Premium SUV||1||Lexus GX|
J.D. Power and Associates’ VDS finds long-term durability continues to be an important consumer purchase consideration. The number of problems an owner experiences affects their repurchase intent and their vehicle’s retained value.
The VDS results are just the latest in a series of recent industry honors taken home by Toyota Motor Sales.
- Kelley Blue Book recognizes 11 Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles with “Best Resale Value Awards” for 2014. For the fourth year in a row, Lexus took top honors for luxury brand.
- Toyota Corolla, Prius c, and Highlander Hybrid and Lexus LS flagship sedan each won Kelley Blue Book’s 5-year “Cost to Own” awards in their segments for new cars in their initial five-year ownership period.