On Tuesday at around 11h00 Netcare 911 paramedics received a call for workers that was stuck in a pipe at a construction site in Eshowe. Reports from the scene indicate that the men was working in a water pipe that had a blockage. To clear the water they used a petrol motor inside the confined area, with a carbon monoxide build up the men appear to have been overcome while still working in the pipe.
The Provincial ambulance service arrived at the scene first and was faced with two people that was in a serious condition, and one that had stopped breathing. Paramedics worked fervently to resuscitate the man at the scene . Tragically, he was declared dead after an extensive resuscitation effort. From reports it is believed that three others were taken to a local hospital by private transport before our arrival.
The Netcare 911 rescue officer as well as the Police Search and Rescue team are at percent entering the pipe to search for two men that is still reported to be trapped in the water pipe.
Updates will follow as soon as possible.