Renault expands its presence in SA’s SUV crossover market
- Following the successful launch of the B-segment Captur crossover in May 2015, Renault is expanding its offering in SA’s hotly contested SUV crossover market with the NEW RENAULT KADJAR.
- Ready for day-to-day life, action and adventure, Kadjar combines the best of three motoring worlds in one: SUV + hatch + sportswagon.
- F1-inspired petrol and diesel turbo engines boast efficient and advanced technologies affording Kadjar optimum fuel consumption and CO² emissions amongst the lowest in its class.
- High-tech extras include: Advanced Driver Assistance Systems like optional Self-Parking with Blind Spot Detection and 360° Park Distance Control with rear camera.
- Priced from just R359 900, New Renault Kadjar is the consummate SUV crossover package.
Bold and beautiful, the NEW RENAULT KADJAR SUV Crossover is the embodiment of the brand’s entire DNA and set to make its mark on one of South Africa’s most hotly contested vehicle categories. New Kadjar expands Renault’s presence in this segment and follows the successful launch of the Renault Captur in May last year.
The New Renault Kadjar is the result of an international creative collaboration. To ensure that a global approach was taken with the newcomer’s overall design, Renault’s design chief, Laurens van den Acker and his team sought input from its network of design centres worldwide.
Renault Kadjar is the result of the integration of three vehicle categories: capable SUV, dynamic hatch and versatile sportswagon. Solidand sporty by design and exuding an air of ‘dare to live’ determination, Kadjar’s aggressive grille is complemented by a sleek yet muscular build which underscores the fact that this is a vehicle geared for action and adventure. Athletic, dynamic and sturdy by design, its length, width, wheelbase and ground clearance dimensions exceed those of comparable competitor models making Renault Kadjar a serious contender in SA’s SUV stakes.
The New Renault Kadjar line-up comprises three models all powered by forced induction turbo engines. At the top end of the range is the turbo diesel-powered Dynamique 96kW 1.6 dCi (320Nm) 4×4 followed bythe turbo petrol-powered Dynamique 96kW (205Nm) and entry-level Expression variants.
These new generation low-inertia turbo engines boast efficient and advanced technologies derived from Renault’s Formula 1 expertise affording the New Renault Kadjarsignificantly lower fuel consumption and CO² emissions.
Renault continues to emphasise its new brand identity and its hallmark diamond-shaped centrepiece dominates the new crossover’s front grille. Kadjar’s innovative new lighting signature: distinctive C-shaped LEDs on its daytime running lights double as a bold visual statement and a safety feature. The full LED headlights on the Dynamique variants are 20% more powerful than conventional halogen lamps.
New Renault Kadjar’s generous and well-appointed cabin makes driving on-or off-road a comfortable and luxurious experience. From the elegant double topstitching and body-contoured seats to the soft touch dashboard – with chrome-bordered gauges – the onboard environment is stylish and refined. Leather seats (electric and heated) are available as an option on the Dynamique trim.
A high-tech touchscreen infotainment system, automatic climate control (Dynamique) and intuitive digital instrument cluster make motoring even more enjoyable and effortless. Safe and user-friendly in the extreme, the New Renault Kadjar does away with convention: its efficient engine, multiple driving assistance features and intelligent modularity make it the ideal vehicle for the great outdoor escape.
To make motoring easier and more fluid, high-tech Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, including Self-Parking with Blind Spot Detection and 360° Park Distance Control with rear camera are available as an option (Dynamique).
Heralded as a stylish crossover, the UK media in particular has praised the New Renault Kadjar for its “overall (value-for-money) package, driving dynamics, ride, efficiency, fuel economy and space.” In November 2015 it was named Best Crossover at Next Green Car Awards (UK) while in January 2016 it scooped top honours in the “Small SUV Class” in Contracthireandleasing.com’s 2015 Car of the Year Awards (UK).
The New Renault Kadjar comes to the South African market only a year after its international reveal at the Geneva Motor Show in 2015.
ALL OF RENAULT’S DNA IN A CROSSOVER
Versatile in the extreme, the New Renault Kadjar combines the best of three worlds: SUV, hatch and sportswagon and the new crossover has been designed to deliver the best overall driving package both inside and out.
The turbo diesel-powered Renault Kadjar Dynamique 96kW 1.6 dCi (320Nm) 4×4 is the flagship of the three-strong line-up. Next up are the turbo petrol-powered Dynamique 96kW (205Nm)and entry-level Expression 96kW variants. All three models come standard with 6-speed manual transmissions.
Renault’s engineers have adapted their extensive experience gained over the past 39 years in the design of F1 power plants, to develop technically advanced engines for production cars. As a direct result, Renault is now at the forefront globally in respect of engine downsizing on road cars, with no compromise on power and performance.
The new generation, low-inertia engines powering the Renault Kadjar benefit from a host of features resulting from technology transfer:
- Thermo-management for running at low temperatures
- Diamond-Like Carbon Coating of engine components to reduce friction and energy loss
- Kinetic energy from braking and deceleration recycling
- Intelligent management of the air-fuel mixture
- Stop & Start system (petrol engine) improving fuel efficiency
EFFICIENCY WITHOUT COMPROMISE
These lively and responsive low-inertia turbo engines have contributed significantly to New Renault Kadjar’s first rate fuel consumption and low CO² emission figures.
Standard in the top-of-the-range Kadjar Dynamique 4×4 is the versatile turbo diesel 96kW 1.6 dCi engine. With maximum power output of 96kW @ 4 000rpm and peak torque of 320Nm @ only
1 750rpm the Kadjar Dynamique 4×4 achieves impressively low fuel consumption of 5.4 litres/100km (in combined cycle *NEDC), while CO² emissions are a modest 143g/km.
- All Mode 4×4-i® Four Wheel Drive
Three modes are available:
– 2WD: power is only transferred to the front wheels to optimise fuel consumption under normal driving conditions; or when driving in towns and cities.
– Auto: the transmission ratio between each front and rear wheel adapts to ensure optimal traction and safety and also automatically corrects the torque distribution.
– Lock: on uneven surfaces such as soil, sand, mud and snow, 50/50 distribution between the front and rear wheels is maintained up to 40km/h; Anti-Spin Regulation (ASR) is disconnected.
The ASR controls wheel spin and engine torque and automatically distributes up to 50% of the torque to the rear wheels. Combined with the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), ASR can control each wheel independently.
Renault’s 96kW 1.2 turbo petrol engine is standard in both the Kadjar Dynamique and Expression variants with maximum power output of 96kW @ 5 500rpm. Peak engine torque of 205Nm is achieved @ 2 000rpm, a figure which compares favourably with much higher capacity normally aspirated engines.
Neither fuel consumption nor CO² emissions are compromised however, with the petrol powered Expression and Dynamique models sipping just 5.7 – 5.8 litres/100km respectively (in combined NEDC cycle) CO² emissions are also excellent @ 127g/km and 131g/km respectively.
Standard across the Kadjar range, ECO mode function is available at the push of a button and electronically modifies the engine’s response to automatically lower fuel consumption (by up to -12%).
NEW DESIGN LANGUAGE SPEAKS VOLUMES
Renault’s new design language is evident in the crafting of the new Kadjar inside and out.
- Exterior – natural SUV styling
Kadjar is a crossover whose style inspires controlled power. With muscular curves in contrast to many other SUVs and an aggressive grille, Kadjar stands out on- and off-road. Its 200mm ground clearance and approach (18°) and departure (28° / 25°) angles confirm its SUV credibility at first glance. Kadjar’s SUV-styling is further reinforced with an integrated roof spoiler and front and rear skid plates. The Dynamique trim adds roof rails and allows an option to upgrade to 19” alloy wheels.
Its distinctive new lighting identity -C-shaped zero maintenance LED daytime running lights – enhances Kadjar’s visibility to other road users.
- Interior – quality at first glance
The high quality ergonomic design of the generous cabin interior emphasises Kadjar’s crossover character.
The New Renault Kadjar’s modular cabin boasts 30 litres of practical storage space which is apportioned between the doors, glove box and central armrest. High density foam seats and reinforced side cushions offer strong support and height and depth adjustable steering underpins Kadjar’s focus on delivering comfort and driving pleasure.
Thanks to Renault’s Easy Break System (Dynamique), the 60/40 rear bench seat can be folded down easily using the side handles on the backrest. Handles are also located in the boot for easy access via the rear of the vehicle.
DRIVING SMART TECHNOLOGY
A host of exceptional high-end features and fitments awaits the owner of the New Renault Kadjar.
The ultra-modern instrument panel has a 7” TFT colour screen digital dashboard with adaptable display. The dash provides standard information such as the rev counter and speed as well as information for the navigation (Dynamique), audio and advanced driving assistance systems. Fuel levels and engine temperature are indicated by LED gauges.
The steering wheel is equipped with user-friendly controls for using and configuring the on-board computer, controls for the information displayed on the console, controls for the hands-free telephone as well as cruise control/speed limiter controls.
The second 7” screen (housed in the centre console) is a multi-touchcustomisable Multimedia system which has a configurable home page to which widgets can be added. It offers Birdview (2.5 D) type navigation, has a new display screen for advanced driving assistance features, Eco Driving and Air Quality monitoring. Intuitive voice recognition is used to navigate, control selected audio functions and make telephone calls. The latest system has superb audio quality and music playback interface and also allows the occupants to view photos and videos.
When on the go Bluetooth® connectivity enables safe, convenient and hands-free telephony and audio streaming from external devices. SMS’s can be received audibly and there is a ‘push to talk’ button on the steering wheel for voice-prompted dialling. Radio controls, including source selection (USB & AUX) are easily accessed via fingertip controls conveniently located alongside the steering column.
Additional features that can be displayed on the touchscreen include:
- Air Quality Control with its Take Care screen allows you to check the pollution level in the air outside the vehicle. The screen also offers the possibility of activating the air purification feature.
- Tyre pressure monitor displays the tyre pressure and alerts the driver when pressure is too low.
- Eco Scoring scores your driving style out of 100 and measures acceleration, gear change and brake anticipation. Distance travelled is also shown.
- Eco Coaching – depending on driving style, advice is given to the driver on how to reduce consumption.
Smart technology that crosses over into the safety spectrum is the cruise control + speed limiter which is standard across the New Renault Kadjar range. To ensure a more comfortable and safer drive on highways and open roads, the system electronically maintains a steady speed as set by the driver.
HI-TECH OPTIONAL EXTRAS
Making motoring easier and more fluid is one of the Kadjar’s missions and optional Advanced Driver Assistance Systems worthy of consideration when purchasing the New Renault Kadjar (Available onDynamique) are:
- Self-Parking System with rear camera and 360° Park Distance Control: 12 ultrasound sensors estimate the space available in which to park. The electric steering is automated depending on the type of parking manoeuvre and the parking information is centralised on the screen. When reverse gear is engaged, the driver only need control the speed while the system takes control of the trajectory.
- Blind Spot Detection: between 30 and 140km/h, ultrasound sensors (two at the front and two at the rear) detect moving objects in the blind spot. If a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, an LED alert is triggered on the door mirror on the appropriate side.
- Cornering fog lights (optional) provide better visibility when turning, illuminating on the side to which steering is turned.
SUPERIOR SAFETY SENSE
Passive and active safety is a Renault standard and New Renault Kadjar achieved a 5-Star Euro NCAP rating in September 2015. Safety fitments across the range include:
Kadjar’s Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), coupled with Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) which kicks in and automatically applies maximum brake pressure when an emergency braking situation is detected. It can reduce stopping distance by up to 20%.
The Electronic Stability Program or Control (ESP/ESC) ensures vehicle stability and assists the driver to avoid possible loss of control resulting from excessive speed or slippery road conditions. It detects and reduces loss of traction, reduces engine power and autonomously brakes on independent wheels in the event of loss of control.
Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle’s wheels based on road conditions, speed, loading etc.
Traction Control (ASR – Anti-Spin Regulation) avoids wheel spin and loss of traction during acceleration and helps to maintain steering power and safe road-holding.
Hill Start Assist (HSA) is automatically activated (upon complete stop) as soon as an incline of at least 3% is detected. The system is engaged by stepping firmly on the brake and prevents any backward movement long enough for pull off without requiring the use of the handbrake. When stepping off the brake, the car will hold for approximately three seconds to allow pull off with no roll-back.
Additional safety features include six air bags (driver, front passenger, side and curtain), seat belts with pre-tensioners, 3-point safety belts for the three rear passengers, anti-whiplash headrests (front and rear) and a reinforced sub-frame structure. In addition two ISOFIX positions (with 3 anchor points) are located in the rear seats.
STANDARD TRIM LEVELS & OPTIONAL EXTRAS
As for the Expression plus:
Accessory options include a bicycle carrier, hard roof box, retractable tow bar, boot liner and alarm.
RENAULT WARRANTY PLUS SERVICE PLAN
As is the case across Renault’s entire product range, the all-new Kadjar line-up comes standard with a 5-year/150 000km mechanical warranty and a 6-year anti-corrosion warranty. In addition the entire Kadjar range comes standard with a 5-year/90 000km service plan. Services take place at15 000km intervals.
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICING:
– Renault Kadjar petrol Expression 96kW Turbo R 359 900
– Renault Kadjar petrol Dynamique 96kW Turbo R 384 900
– Renault Kadjar diesel Dynamique 96kW dCi 4×4 R 449 900
|Cornering fog lights||
|R 2 000|
|R 6 000|
|Fixed sunroof (with electric sunblind)||
|R 8 000|
|R 8 000|
|Self-Park System (with rear camera, blindspot warning, side PDC)||
|Leather seats (electric and heated)||
|R 2 500|