Mitsubishi’s new e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT launched at the Tokyo Motor Show is an all-electric high-performance SUV that embodies the Mitsubishi Motor Corporation’s new brand strategy under the “Drive your Ambition” brand strategy.
- Technical prototype illustrates strategic direction of renewed MMC brand
- Embodies MMC’s new “Drive your Ambition” brand strategy for inspirational design and product
The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a technical prototype illustrating the strategic direction- of a renewed MMC brand that reflects an adventurous and progressive mindset. The new concept incorporates the strengths of SUV, EV and the ability to integrate new systems for a connected mobility customer experience.
Under this new ethos, MMC will accelerate product renewal and launch more new models – including South Africa where the Eclipse Cross compact crossover will make its local debut some time next year.
“Through technological advancements showcased in the e-EVOLUTION concept car, Mitsubishi will not only expand its world-wide customer base, but also its loyal following in South Africa,” says Nic Campbell, General Manager of Mitsubishi Motors South Africa (MMSA).
“Robust & Ingenious”: The design philosophy of Mitsubishi Motors
With the launch of the e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT, Mitsubishi illustrated its new design philosophy under the title “Robust & Ingenious”.
“We aim to provide vehicles that fulfill our customers’ desires through outstanding design, combined with the power, authenticity and carefully-considered functionality Mitsubishi Motors is known for,” said MMC head of global design, Tsunehiro Kunimoto.
Robust & ingenious, the design language of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a study in contrasts. MMC vehicles of the future are meant to be sincere, tough, and functional. At the same time, they will be clever, resourceful, style-setting and technologically advanced.
The design of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
MMC has a long and strong heritage. Think of “Mitsubishi Motors,” the legendary Mitsubishi Pajero, a hallmark of off-road driving and the original multiple DAKAR champion, comes to mind. Now, the banner of superior, high-performance 4WD control is carried forward by the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT. The design expresses the readiness to grip the ground with all four wheels, and the agility of a high performance cross-country tourer.
The front face design of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a fresh take on MMC’s archetypal DYNAMIC SHIELD design. The black grille is shielded under glass, a subtle hint that this car is a high performance electric vehicle. Cameras and sensors are protected under the glass and accentuated by blue lines for emphasis. Large air intakes beneath the headlamps cool the electric brake calipers.
A sharply slanted front windshield and short overhangs give the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT a unique side profile that has not been possible before the arrival of electric propulsion. High ground clearance, short overhangs, strong shoulders and narrow hips project nimbleness and agility. Muscular tires that protrude at the four corners communicate powerful 4WD torque.
The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is powered by three torqueful electric motors, and the absence of a big internal combustion engine under the hood gave designers space for a radically novel cockpit. Its instrument panel appears to float in front of the driver. Acting like a level in an electronic viewfinder, the instrument panel makes it easier to sense the state of the vehicle during driving.
Technologies of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
- EV system: The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT uses three high-performance electric motors, fed by a high-capacity battery system to deliver the smooth and powerfully responsive performance that distinguishes EVs from fossil fuel powered vehicles. The drive battery is located under the floor in the middle of the vehicle for a low center of gravity and utmost stability.
- 4WD system: The triple motor 4WD system employs a single motor to drive the front wheels, complemented by a new Dual Motor Active Yaw Control (AYC) system that couples the two rear motors. This is integrated into MMC’s unique Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) vehicle dynamic control system. Whether driving around town, on the highway or along winding roads, the concept provides crisp and nimble handling that faithfully mirrors driver intent.
- AI system: The brain of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) system that augments the driver’s capabilities. An array of sensors allows the AI system to instantly read changes in road and traffic conditions, as well as the driver’s intent. Seamlessly coordinating driver intent with vehicle performance, the system supports drivers of all abilities, bringing the motoring experience to a new level.
— Arrive Alive (@_ArriveAlive) November 6, 2017